| September 12, 2013.
* Historic flash flooding underway in Boulder, Colorado from persistent rain/T-storms.
* State of Emergency in Boulder County.
* National Weather Service calling this a 10-25 year event.
* As much as 6-8″ rain has already fallen, another 1-2″ expected today; northern suburbs of Denver most at risk.
* Great link to real-time Twitter updates on Boulder flooding, road and business closures here.
* Colorado University at Boulder: minor damage to academic buildings.
* 400-500 grad students/faculty members displaced from housing adjacent to Boulder Breek
* Additional water released from Olympus Dam. 5 dams breached in Lyons, CO.
* Lyons Elementary School used as evacuation shelter – wastewater plant breached in Lyons.
* Multiple homes collapsed/destroyed in Jamestown (1 fatality).
* Broomfield: cars submerged by flooding, at least one motorists pulled out alive.
* Evacuations underway in many communities within and outside of the Boulder metro area.
* National Guard choppers grounded by flog/low clouds.
Here are some images from our affiliate 9News/KUSA
3 Months Worth Of Rain In One Night. The combination of an ex-tropical storm in the Pacific pushing into the southwest with a stalled pattern (trough of low pressure stuck over the Front Range) has created extreme rainfall amounts, focused on the Boulder area, over the past 24 hours. Rain is forecast to linger into tomorrow – another 1-2″ of rain is likely, so the flood situation will probably get worse before things slowly improve over the weekend.
24 Hour Rainfall Amounts. As much as 6-8″ has been reported in the Boulder area in the last 48 hours. The ground is saturated, unable to soak up any more rainwater – resulting in severe to extreme flash flooding, in the city of Boulder, but also the neighborhoods and canyons outside Boulder.
Heat alerts Friday cover much of the Central U.S. and parts of the East. High temperatures in these shaded areas wi… https://t.co/kSvxDJwM633 hours ago by WeatherNation
What a beautiful day at the Great Sand Dunes National Park! https://t.co/huAHiDElJQ8 hours ago by WeatherNation
Monsoonal storms near the Four Corners will produce another round of heavy rain today that may create flooding… https://t.co/E44XZwXp0e17 hours ago by WeatherNation