Will the Weather Cooperate for Super Bowl XLVIII? Jan 23, 2014

The countdown begins! All eyes will be hooked on Metlife Stadium in East Rutherford, New Jersey on Sunday, February 2, 2014. Some will tune in for the big game, others for the commercials and maybe even a few for the weather this year.

AP Photo/Mark Lennihan

February in the Northeast can be a volatile month. Nor’easters tend to favor the coast this time of the year as bitter cold threatens from the arctic.  Temperatures in the 40s during game time would be great but temps in the 50s?…ideal. Since the 1960’s meteorologists have spent countless hours sweating over the forecast for Super Bowl Sunday. About 34% of Super Bowls are played indoors with the other 66% being played in the elements, both good and bad. Take the 2003 Super Bowl, for example. The Pittsburgh Steelers and the Seattle Seahawks played in 1.1 inches of now at Ford Field in Detroit, MI, the snowiest Super Bowl in history.

This year, just two weeks before the big game, a cool foot of snow fell upon Metlife Stadium causing quite the rush to clear the field as Super Bowl preparations already began.

Joe Camporeale-USA TODAY Sports

So, what’s the weather for this year’s Super Bowl? Chances are good that conditions will be cold with low chance of precipitation.

Those at the New Jersey State Climatologist Office have this forecast dialed in! A full website is completely devoted to past, present and future weather conditions for February 2nd. They have everything and anything you would ever want to know about the Super Bowl forecast such as…

The Climatological Data:

Probability of Freezing Conditions:

and Probability of Precipitation:

Whether you’re watching the game in the stadium or from the comforts of your own couch, the weather is sure to add an extra element of excitement to the day.

-Kristin Clark @KClarkWNTV

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Sweating under costumes instead of shivering for #Halloween? More record heat ahead -

35 minutes ago by WeatherNation

How weather data will get from #GOESR to you and improve your forecast:

2 hours ago by WeatherNation

Rain reports are coming in from the Pacific Northwest. Parts of Oregon have seen almost half a foot in the last 24…

3 hours ago by WeatherNation

The first snowflakes of the season have been flying in #Michigan. Details -

5 hours ago by WeatherNation

Good news! The ozone hole in the Antarctic is about average this year. That's 2 million sq. miles smaller than 2015.

8 hours ago by WeatherNation

Dense Fog Advisory this morning with lingering low level moisture and clear skies! Travel safely! #OKwx #KSwx

9 hours ago by WeatherNation

Happy Thursday! A look at today's high temperatures:

10 hours ago by WeatherNation

It's still a whole day away! But the first game in #Chicago will prove to be a windy one! #WorldSeries #Cubs

11 hours ago by WeatherNation

Wednesday snow falling down in Flint, MI. Not enough to build a snowman, but a dusting will do. #MIwx

12 hours ago by WeatherNation

#NYDOT showing heavy #snow this morning near Penn Yan, NY! #NYwx

13 hours ago by WeatherNation

The first flakes of the season flew across the Mitten of #Michigan Wednesday! #Autumn #Snow

14 hours ago by WeatherNation

Early season #snow is helping Northeast ski resorts:

16 hours ago by WeatherNation

Storms moved through the University of Tulsa campus in #Oklahoma this morning. Photo: @_DanielleHoover

17 hours ago by WeatherNation

It was a windy day in the windy city of #Chicago. - Video: Deb Roney

18 hours ago by WeatherNation

That's not snow, that is hail. Enough hail fell this afternoon in Ada, #Oklahoma that it looked more like snow. Pho…

19 hours ago by WeatherNation

Hurricane #Seymour is quickly weakening as it encounters higher wind shear. More:

20 hours ago by WeatherNation
Follow Us