Wildfires continue to pop up this summer, especially across the Western United States. Because they can spark very quickly, it’s important to make sure you have everything you need in case an evacuation order is issued.
Here are some great tips from READYColorado of what you should have in your kit.
- Make sure you have a battery operated radio with fresh batteries and a spare set
- Have food/water to last everyone several days
- A tool kit is great to have including items such as a wrench, manual can opener, pliers, knife, tarp, and garbage bag with ties
- A change of clothes for everyone in your household as well as sturdy shoes and gloves
- Any of your personal items that cannot be replaced. This includes social security cards, passports, birth certificates, and other important paperwork. This also includes medications, contacts & solution, glasses, and inhalers.
- If you have children, make sure you have items that will help comfort them such as books, toys, games, and stuffed animals
- Don’t forget about taking care of your furry friends! Important items include food, water, leash, tags, medication, and important documents
- Cell service might be out so it’s important to have a hard copy of a map. Mark evacuation routes on there or important locations to meet other friends and family members
- Make sure you have a safe meeting place set in case you are separated from others. This can also help mark your location so other family and friends can know to expect you there once you have evacuated
- Do you have elderly members in your house that need special care? A new baby? Have some important items also ready to go that will suffice until help arrives.
For WeatherNation, I’m Meteorologist Meredith Garofalo