All Weather News

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning and Severe Weather!

Capture

More than 400 Americans die every year from unintentional carbon monoxide poisonings, some are linked to power outages.
In a power outage during severe weather or a snow storm, many people look for alternative heating and cooking sources. Because these sources burn fuel, they produce carbon monoxide. It’s important to remember, you never want to bring outdoor heating equipment inside. Grills and generators are not equipped for indoor ventilation. Generators burn gasoline, therefore there is an exhaust. You have to think of it the same as a vehicle, they both produce deadly exhaust when not properly ventilated. Using your gas range or oven for heating also leads to carbon monoxide build up in your home.
Placing carbon monoxide detectors near every sleeping area is key, since most of these deaths occur at night when people are asleep.
Carbon monoxide poisoning symptoms are often described as “flu-like”. Many experience headaches, weakness and ringing in the ears. If you experience any of these symptoms for a prolonged time, get to a doctor immediately.


Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.