A few years ago my sister got me a Fitzroy storm glass for Christmas. I have no idea how to use it, but it’s still one of the coolest gifts I’ve ever found under the tree.
10. Weather Rock. Just tie a piece of string to a rock and attach a printed out version of this. Done.
photo: Walter Baxter
9. Rain Gauge. Seems boring, but this cheap trick is the gift that keeps on giving. Every storm will have weather observes waiting for totals like it’s the new iPhone.
Photo: Bernt Rostad
8. RadarScope. It’s our favorite weather app here at WeatherNation. It tracks real-time radar and active warnings around the country– a must for any weather nerd! Even better, it’s extremely affordable at just $10! Granted there are in-app upgrades.
— RadarScope (@RadarScope) December 10, 2017
7. Green Screen. Practice makes perfect! The aspiring meteorologist in your house might want to get a jump start on the competition. Now, there’s a lot more that goes into this than just the screen. But having a green wall is a huge leap in the right direction! And most kits are reasonably priced on Amazon.
CHRISTMAS SALE! UP to 30% + EXTRA 20% OFF
Enter Promo Code: goodbye2017
— LimoStudio (@Limo_Studio) November 28, 2017
6. Weather Vane. Simplicity is king here. You can get as fancy or as simple as you want with this one, but the outcome is the same– you will hear about every shift in wind direction like it’s the biggest piece of news to hit all day.
5. Pocket Anemometer/Thermometer. Now stick that in your stocking! Your favorite weather nut will be able to tell you the temp, wind speed, and pressure at any time– because we all want that.
Photo: Васин Юрий
4. A Sling Psychrometer. Hands on, nerdy, cheap. Three amazing things. This one from Amazon, will have your little weather watcher swinging his/her way into a future of forecasting!
3. Fitzroy Storm Glass. I almost made this #1, just because I love mine so much. After watching the glass for a few seasons, you get an idea of why things happen– but just having a piece of art that changes with the weather is a level of cool the popular kids can’t match. Even better, these things are entirely affordable!
2. Home Weather Station. It really doesn’t get much better than this! Your local weatherman/woman just got even closer to home. With prices ranging from affordable to why, a home weather station will open the door to a world of weather wonder.
— Davis Instruments (@davisinst) May 10, 2017
1. Vintage Thermometer. Unique, classy, functional– this gift has it all! It’s basically an understandable Fitzroy Storm Glass. It’ll tell you everything you want to know, but this kind of rarity comes at a price.
My Aunt found this gem at a local auction and sent it my way. It’s incredibly cool and even works!
For WeatherNation — Meteorologist Jeremy LaGoo
Bonus: None of those doing it for you? Try a Galileo Thermometer. Don’t know how I forgot this one.
there’s also the Galileo barometer if you’re really looking for something special!