Wednesday, April 3, 2019 is the day to show us your "Safe Place Selfie".
The Safe Place Selfie campaign
is a National Weather Service initiative to encourage the public to know where to go if extreme weather threatens.
As an ambassador of Weather-Ready Nation
, WeatherNation will take part in the Safe Place Selfie initiative to encourage the public to better understand their risks, be it a weather, water, or climate extreme, and where to go when that threat arises.
On April 3rd, 2019, at 11:11am local time
, please join the National Weather Service and its Weather-Ready Nation Ambassadors to take a “selfie” and post it to social media with the hashtag #SafePlaceSelfie.
We told you about it last week
, now is the time to do it!
Here are some helpful suggestions from the NWS and Weather-Ready Nation:
- Think about the hazards in your area where you would need to know where safe places or evacuation routes are located.
- Get creative! Storm shelters, safe rooms, and basements are all good safe places from tornadoes and strong winds, but think of other scenarios or hazards that may require other safe places.
- What other preparedness actions make your safe place even safer? Having a NOAA Weather Radio? Emergency Kit? Family Communications Plan?
- Encourage family, friends, and your social media network to post their #SafePlaceSelfie. Tag someone on your post and ask them, “Where is your safe place from extreme weather?”
- [Related Article: Find Your Safe Place Selfie location]
Feel free to ask questions and engage in dialog with the larger #SafePlaceSelfie social media community.
Here are some of our #SafePlaceSelfies at WeatherNation